Animal FAQ

Sheriff's Office Badge 


Who should I notify about a dead animal in the road, in the ditch, or on my property?

If the dead animal is located on a county roadway, or along a county maintained right-of-way, such as a ditch, contact Lane County Public Works at 541-682-6900.

If the dead animal is causing a traffic hazard, please call our dispatch center at 541-682-4150, option 1.

If the dead animal is on private property, disposal/removal is the responsibility of the property owner.

If livestock coming on to property is a continual problem, and the owner of the livestock is known, a formal criminal complaint can be pursued with our office. This involves a citation and court process, and requires a willingness to follow through, should the case go to court.

Livestock is loose, though there isn’t a traffic hazard. What should I do?

If livestock is loose, but is not posing a traffic hazard, contact the Brand Inspector’s Office at 541-747-9979.

My neighbor's dog is trying to break through the fence/ the dog is dangerous and running at large/my child was just bitten on their way home from school. I live in Veneta or Creswell. What can I do?

The Sheriff’s Office provides contract law enforcement services to the cities of Veneta and Creswell. If a dog is actively engaged in aggressive behavior toward people or animals, call 9-1-1. That call will prompt medical attention, if needed, and will also be routed to our office for a deputy response.

If the situation is NOT in progress and there is no immediate threat, you should contact Veneta or Creswell City Hall in order to start the reporting process with your city government.

How do I report animal abuse, neglect and mistreatment?

For animal abuse/cruelty that is in progress or just occurred, contact our Dispatch Center at 541-682-4150, option 1.

For abuse/neglect/mistreatment situations inside the city limits of Veneta and Creswell, contact our Dispatch Center.

For ongoing situations in the rest of the county, contact Lane County Animal Services at (541) 682-3645, Monday through Friday or by email.

High Prairie Fire Evacuation Information -

Click here for information.